When accessing log files located on an iSeries using a mapped drive the text remains in EBCDIC format. However, by using iSeries Navigator and following the steps below, the file will be automatically converted to ASCII:
- Expand My Connections.
- Expand your connection name.
- Expand File Systems.
- Select File Shares.
- On the right side of the screen, right-click on the file share that will be converted.
- Select Properties.
- Select the Text Conversion tab.
- Select the option Allow file text conversion.
- Type .* (a period followed by asterisk) in the File extensions for automatic EBCDIC/ASCII text conversion: input area and click on the Add button.
- Click on the OK button to save the changes.
These steps can be found on IBM Document N1015165